What is the law about tenant deposits and what are my rights?

Looking for help on this subject?

We are a not for profit free advice service for tenants.

    Call free on 020 3476 6648 to speak to trained advisors.

    Fill in the form below.

Free Advice Form

Your personal information will not be given to any third parties (Privacy Policy). If you request free advice and provide contact details you are actively consenting to us contacting you in order to provide free advice.

How does a landlord or agent have to treat my deposit?

If you signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) then your deposit must be protected in a Deposit Protection Scheme. If your deposit is registered in a Deposit Scheme and you cannot agree to an amount to be deducted with your landlord or agent, then you have the right to use a free arbitration service called Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). This is a free service where both you and your landlord submit your claims and supporting evidence and someone independent looks at the evidence and decides what they believe is fair.

What if my landlord or agent broke the law?

If your landlord or letting agent did not protect your deposit in a Deposit Protection Scheme, then they have broken the law and you are entitled to your full deposit back and up to 3 times the amount of your deposit as compensation as well. You can read more about it here: My landlord or letting agent has not protected my deposit or bond

If your deposit is not protected, or you are not sure if it’s protected, please call a trained advisor and we will check all the schemes for you and confirm whether it is protected, as well as advising how much compensation you are entitled to, and your options to get it.

Related Pages