Small Claims Court for Lodgers and Licensees

Looking for help on this subject?

We are a not for profit free advice service for tenants.

    Call free on 020 3476 6648 to speak to trained advisors.

    Fill in the form below.

Free Advice Form

Your personal information will not be given to any third parties (Privacy Policy). If you request free advice and provide contact details you are actively consenting to us contacting you in order to provide free advice.

As a tenant, licensee or lodger, you start a claim by filling in a claim form (N1). Claim forms are available from local courts, and from HM Courts and Tribunals service at

You may be able to claim interest on your claim against your landlord or letting agent. If so, you must include interest in the amount you are claiming on the claim form. There is a specific form of words you should use to do this. For more information about claiming interest, see the guidance notes that come with the claim form.

Some claims for a fixed amount of money can be started online at Usually, claims will be issued, printed and sent to the defendant on the day the claim is submitted. Court fees for online claims must be paid by credit or debit card.

Related Pages