Lodger Agreement and License agreement deposits

Looking for help on this subject?

We are a not for profit free advice service for tenants.

    Call free on 020 3476 6648 to speak to trained advisors.

    Fill in the form below.

Free Advice Form

Your personal information will not be given to any third parties (Privacy Policy). If you request free advice and provide contact details you are actively consenting to us contacting you in order to provide free advice.

Your landlord or letting agent does not have to register your tenancy security deposit or bond in a government deposit protection scheme if you are a lodger or licensee.

What can I do if my landlord or agent won’t return my license or lodger deposit or bond?

Justice For Tenants offers a service where we write to the landlord and attempt to recover your deposit for you.

If you do not wish to use this service, you will have to take your landlord or agent to the small claims court. It costs £80 to raise a claim and if you win, you tend to get the £80 paid by the other party (your landlord or letting agent). It is important that you have as much physical evidence (photos, emails, Whatsapp messages etc) as possible to support your claim.

It may not be worth going through Court if you have a small deposit or bond. You can find out more about this at Shelter’s page here.

Related Pages